TSBA to license TfL brand globally
- New partnership will take the TfL brand to new markets, generating vital revenues to reinvest in transport
Transport for London (TfL) announced today its plans to expand the reach of its brand licensing programme to the global market.
Following a competitive tendering process, TfL has signed a five-year deal with the TSBA Group that will bring its internationally renowned symbols that embody the heritage and identity of London - such as the London Tube map and the roundel logo - to the global licensing market.
The appointment, structured on a commissioned-based framework, will generate funds for TfL to invest in delivering a modern and affordable transport network for the millions of people who rely on it every day. TfL and TSBA will develop a new brand licensing strategy to launch to the market this May. This will ensure the integrity of the TfL brand is maintained while inspiring new partnerships and products across the globe.
David Ellis, Head of IPR Development for Transport for London said:
'London has always been a global city rich in heritage and innovation and we are proud that our brand has become synonymous with that story. Our partnership with TSBA provides us with the expertise to re-align and expand our licensing programme and keep pace with the global market to generate new revenue to reinvest in transport.'
Ian Mallalue, TSBA Chief Executive said:
'We are honoured to be working with such a globally recognised icon. TfL has a fantastic design heritage, with instantly recognisable and loved logos, art and vehicles. These amazing pieces of design such as the London Underground roundel, Tube map, Routemaster Bus and Johnston font touch every part of Britain's capital, and are intertwined with its rich history and exciting future. This incredible familiarity, love and iconic status provides us with an opportunity to present London to the world using world-class British design. The team at TfL have already done a fantastic job in building a beautiful, design-led, licensing collection and we look forward to helping them grow their brand in areas such as apparel and homewares, while maximising opportunities abroad.'
Notes to Editors:
- The contract between TfL and TSBA will be published here shortly: https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/contracts
- TSBA will be paid through a percentage of royalties from licensing deals they negotiate rather than from payment from TfL
- TSBA plans to officially launch the TfL licensing programme at this year's Licensing Expo in Las Vegas, 23-25 May. The launch will showcase the new style guide, alongside creative and design direction for a core range that will include fashion, homewares and publishing, toys, games and giftware
- Images illustrating ways in which the TfL brand has been used previously, can be found here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tflpress/albums/72157679833965714
- For more information about TfL licensing opportunities, interested parties can visit the TSBA stand at Licensing Expo (stand C94) or email the team at email@example.com
About TSBA Group
- TSBA Group is a leading brand licensing expert that respects the brand equity built by intellectual property owners. TSBA Group strategically extends a brand's presence into logical categories for the consumer and brand owner creating value for strategic partners, licensees and the IP owner whilst offering something different and desired to consumers across the globe