Travel advice ahead of planned strike on two Tube lines
- Strike action planned from 21:30 Thursday 15 September and all day Friday 16 September on Circle and Hammersmith & City lines
- Customers advised that these services will be disrupted from 21:00 on Thursday
- Follow tfl.gov.uk/tube-strike and @TfLTravelAlerts, @TfLTrafficNews and @TfLBusAlerts for the latest information
Transport for London (TfL) is advising customers that strike action may take place on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines on Thursday 15 and Friday 16 September.
Some drivers on these two lines who are RMT union members are currently planning to strike from 21:30 on Thursday 15 September for 24-hours. This will see some drivers not book on for any shift that starts within this time.
London Underground (LU) is currently in discussion with the RMT union to try to resolve the dispute, which is about a number of local-level issues at two of the three depots covering the lines. If the strike goes ahead, there will be:
- No Hammersmith & City line service and a very limited service on the Circle line from around 21:00 on Thursday and all day Friday 16 September
- Circle line services will be much less frequent than usual and extremely busy, especially at peak times, and may be subject to short notice cancellations
Services on other Tube and Rail lines, the bus network and river will run as normal but are expected to be busier as passengers seek alternative routes. Some roads in west and central London could also be busier than usual.
More buses will run to help Londoners get around. Buses do not accept cash, so customers will need to use their contactless debit or credit card, Oyster or bus & tram pass to continue their journeys. Customers are advised to allow more time for their journeys.
TfL advises all customers to check before they travel at tfl.gov.uk/tube-strike and follow @TfLTravelAlerts, @TfLTrafficNews and @TfLBusAlerts on Twitter.
Steve White, Operations Director for London Underground, said:
'We are speaking to the RMT union to try to resolve the issues without disruption to our customers. But if the strike does go ahead, customers are advised to check our real-time travel information. All other Tube lines and other TfL services will be operating as normal and we'll be making sure that everyone has the information they need to re-plan their journeys if necessary.'
Planned weekend engineering works mean there will be no Circle or Hammersmith & City line service between Hammersmith and Edgware Road only on Saturday 17 and Sunday 18 September.
Notes to Editors:
- Eighty-two RMT members were balloted at two depots
- Fifty members voted in the ballot and of these 43 voted for strike action
- There are 265 drivers in total on the Circle and Hammersmith & City line