Poems on the Underground celebrates #LondonIsOpen
Transport for London (TfL) today launched a new set of Poems on the Underground to be displayed in Tube train carriages across London. The poems are in support of the award-winning #LondonIsOpen campaign, which was introduced by the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, to show the world that London remains open, entrepreneurial, international, and full of creativity and possibility.
The six new poems highlight the diversity of the Capital. All of the works are set in London but celebrate the extensive range of voices and cultures that exist within the city - from Europe, Asia and the Caribbean as well as the UK.
The poems featured are:
- Chilling Out Beside the Thames by John Agard
- No. 3 from Uses for the Thames by Jane Draycott
- An extract from Autumn Journal by Louis MacNeice
- Our Town with the Whole of India by Daljit Nagra
- London Fields by Michael Rosen
- A Trojan Horse in Trafalgar Square by George Szirtes
Eleanor Pinfield, Head of Art on the Underground, said: 'Poems on the Underground consistently brings an exciting range of poetry to London. Through the diverse voices of this selection, we show millions of people that London is open - to creativity, to internationalism, to the world.'
Judith Chernaik, writer, editor and founder of Poems on the Underground, said: 'We are delighted to support the Mayor's campaign with a set of Tube poems celebrating the wonderful diversity of London's people and places, all included in a leaflet of London Poems on the Underground free to the public at Tube stations and public libraries.'
Poems on the Underground, founded in 1986, aims to bring poetry to a wider audience. It showcases a combination of classical, contemporary and international works in Tube train carriages across London. The programme helps to make journeys more stimulating, and has inspired similar displays in cities around the world, from New York and Paris to Moscow and Shanghai.
For more information about Poems on the Underground, please visit http://www.tfl.gov.uk/poems
Notes to editors
- PDFs of the poems are available here https://www.flickr.com/photos/tflpress/albums/72157675206316771
- Poems on the Underground is generously supported by London Underground (TfL), Arts Council England and the British Council.
- Poems are selected by writer Judith Chernaik and poets Imtiaz Dharker and George Szirtes.
- A free leaflet containing these poems, along with three others, is available from London Transport Museum and selected Tube stations.