Emirates Air Line extends services
- From Sunday to Thursday closing time will be extended to 10pm
- Over five million passengers have now taken a flight across the Thames on the Emirates Air Line
From Saturday 28 March, the Emirates Air Line will offer a new 'Night Flight' experience with later opening hours, a longer flight time and complementary music and video entertainment in cabins and at the terminals.
The later opening will ensure customers can sit back, relax and enjoy the unique aerial views of fantastic sunsets or the spectacular lights and colours of London after dark, throughout the summer. From Sunday to Thursday, passengers will be able to fly until 10pm and on Friday and Saturday nights the Emirates Air Line will close at 11pm.
To allow more time to enjoy the experience, journey times will also be extended every day after 7pm. A round trip will be extended from 20 minutes to 25 minutes (12-13 minutes for a single crossing).
There have been over five million passengers on the Emirates Air Line, the UK's first urban cable car, since its opening in June 2012. Customer Satisfaction Surveys show that around half of all users of the Emirates Air Line are Londoners and satisfaction scores remain very high at 93 out of 100. This demonstrates what a successful addition it is for both Londoners and visitors to the Capital. Since opening, the Emirates Air Line has helped customers celebrate special occasions, including marriage proposals and welcomed numerous famous faces including Arnold Schwarzenegger, Hulk Hogan and Novak Djokovic.
The Emirates Air Line was built to support current and future regeneration in east London and its popularity means that it is more than covering its running costs while encouraging a new footfall of visitors to both the Royal Docks and Greenwich Peninsula.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said:
'The Emirates Air Line has been a fantastic addition to the Capital, boosting regeneration in the east and providing a unique way to view our fabulous city. Five million people have taken to the skies already and customer feedback over the last two and a half years remains overwhelmingly positive. Extended opening hours will now give even more people the chance to see one of the most beautiful views in London.'
TfL's Head of the Emirates Air Line, Danny Price, said:
'Londoners, visitors from around the world and celebrities are all enjoying this special transport experience. By passing five million passenger journeys it shows just how popular it is with both Londoners and visitors to the Capital. It continues to cover its operating costs and generates revenue for local businesses through driving new footfall to the local area. We look forward to welcoming the next five million customers on to the Emirates Air Line.'
Notes to Editors:
- Images of the Emirates Air Line are available at https://www.flickr.com/photos/tflpress/sets/72157651124668730/
- Media visits to the Emirates Air Line can be arranged by Joshua Burrell in the TfL Press Office please contact him on 0203 054 6321.
- Information on visiting the Emirates Air Line is available at: http://www.emiratesairline.co.uk/
- The Emirates Air Line charges a special rate for schools in London boroughs. Pupils in schools years 1 to 11 can now travel in a school group for just £1 per pupil. For more information on this scheme, educational resources and to book please visit: http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/learning/schools/projects/452-emirates-air-line-schools-scheme
- The Emirates Aviation Experience, opened in July 2013, is located next to the Emirates Air Line Emirates Greenwich Peninsula Terminal. The first of its kind globally, it provides an insight into the operations and modern achievements of commercial air travel. For more information on the Emirates Aviation Experience please contact Emirates PR company Red Consultancy on 020 7025 6500.