Consultation starts on changes to Baker Street bus services
Transport for London (TfL) has today (Tuesday 30 June) launched a consultation on proposed changes to bus routes in the Baker Street/Gloucester Place area.
These proposals have been put forward to complement planned changes to the local road layout as part of Westminster Council's Baker Street Two Way Project.
The Baker Street Two Way Project proposes significant improvements for pedestrians and road users in the area. The project, which will see two way traffic flow on Baker Street and Gloucester Place, also aims to make bus services in the area easier to understand.
A number of proposals have been developed and TfL is seeking the public's view on the following changes for Baker Street:
- Routes 2, 13, 82, 113, 139, 189, N13 and N113 running in both directions
- Route 274 no longer serving Baker Street
- Routes 30, 74 and N74 continuing to run southbound as present
The following changes for Portman Street and Gloucester Place are proposed:
- Route 274 running in both directions
- Routes 2, 13, 82, 113, 139, 189, N13 and N113 no longer serving Gloucester Place
- Routes 30, 74 and N74 will continue to run northbound as present
- Existing bus stops will also be affected and may need to be repositioned with new bus stops planned for Baker street northbound and Gloucester Place southbound
Peter Bradley, TfL's Head of Consultation Delivery, said: `The proposals put forward for the Baker Street Two Way Project will allow us to implement some changes to the bus network in the area that we have long been wanting to make. Of course, we want to make sure that we're meeting our customers' needs so I would encourage any interested parties to get in touch and share their views with us.'
There will also be an opportunity to speak to project staff regarding the two-way scheme at two drop-in sessions on Thursday 2 and Saturday 4 July.
The consultation period is open until 4 September 2015. More information on the consultation can be found https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/baker-street
Subject to the outcome of the consultation, this work is currently scheduled to start in summer 2016 and the anticipated completion date is currently spring 2017.
The drop in sessions will take place at the Park Plaza Sherlock Holmes, 108 Baker Street on:
•Thursday 2 July 4pm-7pm
•Saturday 4 July 12pm-4pm
For more information regarding the Baker Street and Gloucester Place two-way project, please visit www.bakerstreettwoway.co.uk