A new series of bus garage open days planned
NEXT STOP: EPSOM BUS GARAGE OPEN DAY
DATE: SATURDAY 20 JUNE 2015
LOCATION: Roy Richmond Way, Epsom, Surrey KT19 9AF
On Saturday 20 June 2015, Epsom Bus Garage in south west London will open its doors to members of the public in the next of a series of bus garage open days following the success of such events as part of last year's Year of the Bus.
Visitors to Epsom Bus Garage, which is operated by Epsom Coaches, will have the chance to:
- Take a free trip on vintage and other interesting buses from Epsom to Tolworth via Epsom garage;
- View heritage buses, coaches, cars and motorcycles dating back to as early as 1906 including a B-type bus, in its World War 1 livery;
- See the modern Epsom Coaches and Quality Line fleet close up;
- The youngsters can have fun in the "Jungle Bus", have a bounce on a bouncy castle, or try face painting;
- See a fascinating display of the history of Epsom Coaches Group and take a look behind the scenes;
- Talk to the Metropolitan Police Safer Transport Team and see the historic police motorcycle collection;
- Enjoy a fascinating display from Epsom Coaches suppliers including demonstration of the latest "flywheel" bus technology;
- Get inspiration for your next day out or holiday in the Travel Pavilion;Buy some bus inspired memorabilia, including some anniversary specials;
- Meet the Epsom team;
- Enjoy a cup of tea and a cake at "Café Richmond".
Epsom Coaches was founded in 1920 and this year celebrates 95 years of business. Today the company employs almost 400 staff and has a 120 strong bus and coach fleet, serving 14 Transport for London (TfL) bus routes; local bus services in Epsom; coach private and contract hire; and an extensive holiday and day trip programme.
As with previous bus garage open days where all proceeds generated were donated to charity, the proceeds from this event will go to the Epsom & Ewell Community Fund.
Mike Weston, TfL's Director of Buses, said:
'Buses are a vital daily service for millions and one that links homes to jobs, schools and hospitals in every part of the Capital. They are the backbone, and often the forgotten workhorses, of London's transport network and these open days are a great opportunity for the public to come and learn more about their local bus services.'
Steve Whiteway, Epsom Coaches' Managing Director, said:
'We hold an Open Day every five years and this is a great opportunity to give everyone a chance to see what makes us tick. We look forward to a very special day and to raising money for The Epsom & Ewell Community Fund, our nominated charity. There will be something for everyone, from nostalgia to technology and plenty of fun in between.'
In 2014, TfL held a number of bus garage open days as part of celebrations to mark the Year of the Bus, in partnership with London Transport Museum and the Capital's bus operators. This was part of a programme of events and activities which were held throughout 2014 to celebrate the role that London buses, bus drivers and the staff who support them play in keeping the Capital moving, and mark a number of important anniversaries. These included 60 years since the creation of the original and iconic Routemaster, 75 years since the launch of its predecessor the RT-type bus, and 100 years since hundreds of London buses were sent to the Western Front to play a crucial role during the First World War.
Other London bus garages opening their doors on Saturdays this year are Camberwell (5 September) and Willesden (19 September). There will also be open days held at Barking and Westbourne Park garages with dates to be confirmed later in the year.
Notes for Editors:
- Further information about previous bus garage open days and other Year of the Bus events can be found at www.tfl.gov.uk/yearofthebus and www.ltmuseum.co.uk.
- There will be free bus and coach courtesy services with car parking on site. There will be departures every 30 minutes on the 418 route between Epsom and Tolworth between 10.45 and 15.15, supplementing the usual timetable and stop right by the garage. In addition, a heritage shuttle bus service will operate non-stop between Epsom Station and the garage. A special coach service will operate from around the wider area. Booking is required, please call 01372 731705 or on line www.epsomcoaches.com.
- For more information on the open day please use the contact details above.