Aldgate bus station to close for gyratory removal works
- Works will allow simpler routings of bus services in the area as well as improving traffic flow
From Monday (5 January) bus passengers in the Aldgate area will see changes to a number of bus routes as Aldgate bus station closes for City of London works to remove the gyratory.
The first stage of these works, which closed the Minories for gas replacement works, began in July 2014. This second phase of the works begins from 5 January and the closure of Aldgate Bus station will affect routes 15, 25, 42, 67, 78, 100, 115, 254, N15, N253, N550, N551. Route 40 will also be affected - but from Saturday 3 January. Customers will need to use alternative stops in the vicinity of the bus station to complete their journeys during this work, which is expected to finish in autumn 2016.
John Barry, TfL's Head of Network Development for Buses, said:
'We know that there will be disruption for our passengers during this closure and we have worked with the City of London to ensure that the impact is kept to a minimum.'
More information on how each bus route will be affected can be found at: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/travel-information/improvements-and-projects/aldgate-gyratory. Customers are also advised to look out for local posters and to use Transport for London's online Journey Planner when travelling in the area.
This work is being carried out by the City of London as part of a major uplift to the Aldgate area and is one of 33 of London's busiest and most dangerous junctions that are being overhauled to make them safer and less threatening.
The changes will improve traffic flow as well as improving cycling and pedestrian routes. It will also allow simpler routings of bus services, improved lighting in the area and will create two new public spaces on the eastern edge of the City of London. The overall scheme is expected to finish in Autumn 2016.
Notes to Editors:
- Route 15 runs from Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross) to Blackwall DLR.
- Route 25 runs from Oxford Circus to Ilford.
- Route 40 runs from Dulwich Library to Aldgate.
- Route 42 runs from Liverpool Street (Worship Street) to Denmark Hill (Sunray Avenue).
- Route 67 runs from Wood Green to Aldgate.
- Route 78 runs from Shoreditch (Calvert Avenue).
- Route 100 runs from Elephant & Castle to Shadwell DLR.
- Route 115 runs from East Ham (White Horse) to Aldgate via Upton Park.
- Route 254 runs from Holloway (Nag's Head) to Aldgate.
- Route N15 runs from Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross ) to Romford Market via Aldwych.
- Route N253 runs from Tottenham Court Road to Aldgate.
- Route N550 runs from Trafalgar Square (Charing Cross) to Canning Town DLR.
- Route N551 runs from Piccadilly Circus to Gallions Reach (Shopping Park).
To be kept updated on what works are being undertaken and to find out about any road closures or diversions in place for this scheme here is a regular Aldgate e-bulletin from City of London's website - www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/aldgatearea - which people can sign up to. For further information regarding the project please go to the website or email email@example.com