New 60+ London Oyster photocard will give free travel on all TfL services from 1 November.
- Applications for the 60+ London Oyster photocard open mid October
- Fulfils the Mayor's pledge to bridge the gap after the age of eligibility for the Freedom Pass was increased by the Government
Free travel on Transport for London (TfL) services for all Londoners when they reach 60 years old will be restored from 1 November when the 60+ London Oyster photocard scheme goes live.
The new scheme fulfils the Mayor Boris Johnson's pledge to bridge the gap for older Londoners since the age of eligibility for the London Council's Freedom Pass was raised by the Government.
More than 100,000 applications are expected before the new 60+ London Oyster photocard goes live, and a further 10,000 Londoners are expected to become eligible for the scheme each month.
Eligibility for the Freedom Pass, for both men and women, was raised by the Government in line with the state retirement age for women since April 2010 and means Londoners currently have to be at least 61 years old to qualify.
The 60+ London Oyster photocard scheme will mean Londoners once again become eligible for free travel on all TfL services and some national rail services 24 hours a day, seven days a week, from their sixtieth birthday. Just like the Freedom Pass, it will also allow them free travel outside of morning peak hours on other national rail services in the capital.
Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, said: 'Londoners who have grafted all their lives and expected to receive free travel on retirement just as those before them quite rightly felt cheated when the age escalator removed the Freedom Pass from their grasp. I promised to restore this right to travel for free on the capital's transport network for every Londoner from their 60th birthday.
'From November, this will be the case when hundreds of thousands of people will be armed with their 60+ London Oyster card, enjoying all our great city can offer.'
Shashi Verma, TfL's Director of Customer Experience, said: 'From 1 November, Londoners who are 60 years or over and are not eligible to receive a Freedom Pass will be able to travel for free on all TfL services, at any time of the day.
'Applications for the 60+ London Oyster photocard open in mid October at www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets. Bridging the gap on this long standing concession will enable older Londoners to continue making the most of London's public transport to attend appointments or just enjoy all that London has to offer.'
Applications for the 60+ London Oyster photocard will open on 17 October on the TfL website, www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets.
The application process will be primarily online although anyone who is not able to complete the application online can contact TfL's Customer Contact Centre for assistance.
Applications will require a colour digital photo, an active email address, proof of identification and address and the payment of a £10 fee. A 60+ web account will be set up for online applicants to get updates on their application or to report lost, stolen or damaged photocards.
Notes to Editors:
- The age of entitlement for a London Council's Freedom Pass, for both men and women, has been rising in line with the state retirement age for women which from April 2010 has been rising by one month, every two months. The Freedom Pass was previously valid for anyone aged 60 years or older
- The 60+ London Oyster photocard will expire when a customer's age reaches the age of eligibility for the London Councils Freedom Pass
- Only Londoners aged 60 or over whose main residence is in a London borough will be eligible
- Applications will be open on the TfL website at www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets
- To apply, applicants will need:
- A colour digital photo
- An active email address
- A driving licence (full or provisional) OR a valid UK passport
- A valid debit/credit card registered in their name and current address, to pay the non-refundable £10 fee and confirm their address
- Applicants who are not able to complete an online application because they do not have valid identification, are unable to upload a digital photo or cannot pay the £10 fee online should contact TfL (0845 331 9872) for assistance. Verification of identify and payment of the fee may be processed through the Post Office
- Only applicants who apply online will have a 60+ web account set up
- Holders of the 60+ London Oyster photocard will be able to travel free at all times on London buses, London Underground, Tram, Docklands Light Rail, London Overground and the following National Rail services:
- Chiltern Railway services between Amersham - Marylebone and West Ruislip - South Ruislip;
- First Capital Connect services between Finsbury Park - King's Cross or Moorgate and West Hampstead - Moorgate, Elephant & Castle or London Bridge;
- London Midland services between Harrow & Wealdstone and Euston;
- National Express East Anglia services between Stratford - Liverpool Street;
- c2c services between Upminster - Fenchurch Street
- After 09.30 Monday to Friday and at all times on weekends and public holidays, the 60+ London Oyster photocard will also allow free travel on most National Rail services in Greater London (check with train operator) and to Dartford and Swanley
- Southern services between Clapham Junction and Harrow & Wealdstone will also accept the 60+ London Oyster photocard for free travel after 09.00 Monday to Friday and at all times on weekends and public holidays
- 60+ London Oyster photocard holders will be able to get a discount on the following River services:
- City Cruises: Westminster - Greenwich
- Thames River Services: Westminster - Greenwich - Thames Barrier
- Crown River Cruises: Westminster - St Katherine's
- WSPA: Westminster - Hampton Court
- Thames Clippers: Embankment and the London Eye - The O2 and Woolwich Arsenal
- Thames Clippers: Bankside - Millbank
- 60 + London Oyster photocard holders can show their card to pay the discounted adult rate Boarding Pass fare on Emirates Air Line
- The 60+ London Oyster photocard will not be valid on:
- Virgin Trains
- London Midland and Southern services between Harrow & Wealdstone and Watford Junction
- Scotrail services
- Heathrow, Gatwick and Stansted Express services
- Heathrow Connect between Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow
- Southeastern High Speed 1 services (Javelin)
- Non-TfL bus services outside London
- Pay as you go credit cannot be added to a 60+ London Oyster photocard. A separate Oyster card or paper ticket will need to be purchased to travel outside the valid times or services.