From Saturday 28 August there will be changes to several bus routes designed to give passengers a better service, and to reduce the numbers of buses on Oxford Street.
There will be major changes to routes 15, 159 and night-time services N15 and N159.
On the same day, two new night bus routes will be introduced the N64 between Thornton Heath Pond and New Addington, and the N109 between Croydon and Oxford Circus.
Routes 15 and N15
- Will be shortened to start at Regent Street instead of Paddington Basin
- Will continue to run to Blackwall via Trafalgar Square, Tower Hill and Commercial Road, with route N15 continuing at night to Romford
- These changes deliver a further reduction in the number of buses using Oxford Street
- Will be extended from Marble Arch to Paddington Basin following the current route of the 15
- Will become a 24-hour service between Streatham Station and Paddington Basin
- The night service will operate every 20 minutes
- This service will no longer run
- Between Streatham and the West End it is replaced by the 24-hour service on route 159 and new route N109
- New route N109 will also replace the section between Streatham and Croydon
- New route N64 will serve Thornton Heath Pond, Croydon and New Addington
Route N64 - new service
- This new night bus service will run between Thornton Heath Pond and New Addington (Homestead Way)
- It will use the same roads as day service 64, except in New Addington where it will serve the same roads as the current N159
- Route N64 will operate every 30 minutes
Route N109 - new service
- This new night bus service will run between Croydon and Oxford Circus
- It will use the same roads as day service 109 between Croydon and Brixton and then continue via route 159 to Oxford Circus
- Route N109 will operate every 20 minutes
- Together routes 159 and N109 will give six buses per hour at night between Streatham and Oxford Circus via Brixton and Westminster
John Barry, Head of Network Development, London Buses, said: 'These changes follow a detailed review and consultation with boroughs, London TravelWatch and others.
'They are designed to give a better overall service for passengers, and to deliver a further reduction in buses on Oxford Street.'
Notes to editors:
- Routes 15 and N15 will terminate on Regent Street at Conduit Street
- Heritage Routemaster services on route 15 between Trafalgar Square and Tower Hill are unaffected by these changes
- In 2009/10 there were around 38 million passenger journeys on the night bus network