Travel Information Reminder for TfL services over the Festive Period
Unless you're going by bike, public transport will without doubt be the best way to travel.
The Festive Travel Guide was published in early December by the Mayor of London and Transport for London (TfL).
The Guide has full details of Tube, London Buses, Docklands Light Railway (DLR), Tramlink, London Overground and Riverboat services as well as the operation of the Congestion Charge throughout the entire festive period, from Thursday 24 December 2009 to Friday 1 January 2010.
The Festive Travel Guide is available on the TfL website and on leaflet racks across the Transport for London network.
There will be free travel sponsored by ING Direct on the Tube, DLR, London Buses and Tramlink on New Year's Eve from 23:45 until 04:30.
Customers wishing to travel by coach from or to Victoria Coach Station are strongly advised to book in advance, particularly those who intend to travel on Christmas Eve.
On Christmas Eve, a Saturday service will operate on the Tube until 19:00 and less frequently for the rest of the evening. Last trains will run at Sunday times.
There will be a Saturday service on London Buses network with some exceptions.
There will be no Night buses and on 24 hour routes buses will operate until just after midnight.
On the DLR a special service will operate from about 05:30, with last trains about 23:30. Buses will replace DLR services between Bank/Tower Gateway and West India Quay/Poplar. DLR train services will operate on all remaining routes.
On the London Overground network, a weekday service will operate, with reduced services from early evening with last trains departing around 9pm.
On Tramlink, a Saturday service will operate and there will be a limited number of Riverboat services. Coach operators will run a reduced UK service from Victoria Coach Station with the last international departures leaving mid morning.
On Christmas Day, there will be no services on the Tube, London Buses, DLR, London Overground and Tramlink networks, no services from Victoria Coach Station, and no service on all but one Riverboat service.
New Year's Eve
Wherever you are bringing in the New Year across the Capital, you should plan your journey carefully and take advantage of all night and free travel on public transport.
The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson said: 'London will herald the start of 2010 with a bang - with a spectacular fireworks display at the London Eye.
'Countless celebrations will take place all across the city, with many thousands of Londoners and visitors making the most of our unrivalled selection of bars, restaurants and hotels. Unless you're going by bike, public transport will without doubt be the best way to travel.
'There will be services across London throughout the night and, because we want everyone to be able to get home safely, we are making travel free.'
There will be free travel on New Year's Eve from 23:45 until 04:30 on the Tube, DLR, London Buses, and Tramlink, which is sponsored by ING Direct.
London Overground services will not run through the night. After 23:45 the minimal services running on the Euston to Watford branch will be free, but will finish at 01:25.
For details of these services see live travel news or call 020 7222 1234.
Tube, DLR, Tramlink and selected National Rail services will run all night on New Year's Eve.
Bank DLR platforms will be closed.
Night and 24 hour bus routes will run as normal outside central London. But there will be a reduction in bus services leaving central London from about 19:00 to about 03:00 because of road closures.
However, bus services on the night will be enhanced with an extra 55 bus routes that normally only run during the day. They will operate a 24-hour service to link with late night rail and Underground services, and provide all night connections for people in outer London.
There will be a reduced number of UK coaches departing from Victoria Coach Station, with the last coaches departing about 20:00.
From Friday 25 December until Friday 1 January inclusive, motorists will not have to pay the Congestion Charge. Congestion charging will be in operation as usual from Monday 4 January 2010.
Notes to editors
- London Underground (LU) is undertaking a major programme of renewal as part of Transport for London's Investment Programme. This will inevitably result in some disruption for passengers, but TfL is working hard to provide information and alternative travel options. The work is essential to provide for London's growing transport needs now, and into the future. Tube Lines is responsible for the maintenance and renewal of the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines
- Passengers are advised to check before travelling via the following options
- Live travel news or text TFL to 60835. Charged at the network operator's standard rate
- Transport for London's festive travel guide
- Information on posters, leaflets and Good Service boards at Tube stations
- The London Travel Information 24-hour telephone helpline: 020 7222 1234
- Access travel information news in advance on the go using any one of TfL's new suite of Travel Tools.
- London Dial-a-Ride will be operating over Christmas and New Year and all members have been sent leaflets. For queries about booking arrangements over this period please contact the Reservations Contact Centre on 0845 999 1 999
- For information about the New year's Eve fireworks go to www.london.gov.uk/newyearseve
- For information about events and attractions throughout the festive period go to the Visit London website