London Buses will be introducing improvements to bus services into Bexley and Woolwich from Saturday 24th January, Transport for London announced today.
The improvements will mean more links to Queen Elizabeth Hospital and into Woolwich town centre. There will also be increases in frequencies, extension's, and re-routing on many different routes. These changes to services will bring a better and more accessible bus service to the local community.
London Buses', Director of Performance, Clare Kavanagh said:
"I am delighted to be introducing these improvements. The new services will open up direct links to Queen Elizabeth Hospital and amenities in Woolwich and Bexley. These changes will provide more frequent, direct and accessible services."
Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Director of Communications Linda Marsh said:
"We welcome any improved bus routes to the hospital for the benefit of our local residents."
The improvements made to the bus services will include:
- Improved links to Kidbrook and the Ferrier Estate with route 178 extended to Lewisham (replacing route 278) and diverted to serve Queen Elizabeth Hospital.
- More frequent service on routes 96, 99, 178, 229, 422, 428, 472 and B11
- Extensions, or re-routeing of routes 178, 244, 422, B11, B15 and B16.
- Easy access low floor buses, fully accessible to wheelchair users will be introduced on routes 99, 492, B11 and B13, making the whole local netork fully accessible.
- London Buses manages bus services in London for the Mayor's Transport for London. It plans routes, specifies service levels and monitors service quality. It is also responsible for bus stations, bus stops, security initiatives and passenger information. The bus services are operated by private operators, which work under contract to London Buses.
- The London bus network is one of the largest and most comprehensive urban systems in the world. Each weekday 7,500 London buses carry 5.4 million passengers on more than 700 different routes.
For more information contact the TfL press office on 020 7941 4881 or 7941 4141 (and for out of hours).