TfL Sustainability Degree
What qualifications will you gain: The apprenticeship will incorporate study with our chosen further education institution to gain Environmental Practitioner Apprentice Level 6 which is a degree-level qualification.
How long: 5 years
Where: London-based hybrid working. At least 2 days per week in the office (subject to working patterns and business requirements).
What you'll need
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs or equivalent at Grade 4 (C) or above, including English and Maths
- 3 A Levels in any subject at Grade A*-C or equivalent
- You must be 18 years old by 11 September 2023 to be eligible
- You are not eligible for this scheme if you currently hold or are working towards a qualification at the same or higher level in a related subject or have already studied content from the qualification for this scheme
You will be required to provide original certificates and/or predicted grades as proof for your eligibility checks.
Did you know?
We're seeking talented individuals across a range of disciplines and backgrounds to help us achieve our vision of a greener, healthier, more sustainable London.
Our Sustainability Apprentices will have the opportunity to work in a wide variety of roles across TfL and will be fully supported to do this through a network of existing TfL sustainability professionals. Your 'home' team will be the TfL Sustainability and Corporate Environment team which is highly motivated and is expanding. Your placements could be in almost any part of TfL.
What you'll be doing
You will complete a 2-week induction and 3-4 weeks of work experience as a Customer Service Assistant at a station. This will give you invaluable front-line experience and understanding of the customer-facing element of working for a transport organisation.
Your apprenticeship programme will then incorporate working in 2-3 different TfL placements each year. Placements will be chosen with you to complement your studies. The placements will allow you to gain the skills, experience and behaviours required to complete the Apprenticeship and for your future career.
Placements will be available with:
- The TfL Sustainability and Corporate Environment team
- Other teams where sustainability and environment is a direct part of the role
- Other teams within TfL where the placement will be approached through the lens of environment and sustainability
The kind of work you could be involved with includes:
- Corporate strategy - Developing, implementing and communicating overall strategies and plans to achieve environmental goals and tracking and reporting progress
- Sustainability - Developing, implementing and communicating overall strategies and plans to achieve sustainability goals, providing governance, training and stakeholder engagement and building partnerships
- Energy & Carbon - Developing detailed plans to tackle our energy consumption, increase renewable energy and reduce carbon emissions
- Technical Advice teams - Providing specialist environmental advice and support to our operations and construction teams, including undertaking specialist environmental activity
- Facilities Operations - Environment - Utility management and energy efficiency in TfL offices
- Property Management - Sustainability team - Embedding environment and sustainability strategy into management of tenants
- Engineering - Environmental team - Environmental and sustainability considerations in transport engineering
- Transport Strategy and Policy - Development and implementation of London-wide environmental transport policy
- Procurement - Responsible procurement - Implementation of the TfL Responsible Procurement Policy
- Operational and construction teams (in LU, Buses, Trams, DLR or London Overground) - Strengthening environmental and sustainability input to the teams
- Communications, city planning, business strategy, human resources, technology & data, finance and project management - Strengthening environmental and sustainability input to the teams
Depending on your placement and final role you may be required to undertake a medical which may include but is not limited to: drugs and alcohol screening, eye test and hearing test.