Operations Signalling and Control - Level 3
Interested in learning more about this position? Sign up now to our Operations Signalling and Control Apprenticeship Event.
How long: 2 years apprenticeship followed by 6-12 month Service Control trainee role
What you'll need
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs Grade A* - C or Grade 4 and above (or equivalents) including Maths and English Language
- You must be 18 years old by September 2023 to be eligible for this scheme
Service Controllers manage the train service safely and efficiently and in the best interests of our customers.
They are the air traffic controllers of London Underground. They do all that is necessary to achieve and maintain the working timetable on a daily basis.
Ensuring the prompt distribution of accurate train service information to all relevant stakeholders is vital. As well as effectively managing the transition between traffic (customer) hours and engineering hours.
What you'll be doing
To be an excellent Service Controller, you need to have:
- Excellent customer service skills
- An understanding of the many teams
- An understanding of how the roles across London Underground are affected by the work of the Service Control team
Your apprenticeship will focus on building this understanding and experiencing our operational world. You'll have the opportunity to learn from experienced and qualified staff through various placements across the organisation to gain a broad spectrum of knowledge through a hands-on approach to learning.
You'll also be responsible for:
- A significant amount of record keeping
- The inputting of service data and the submission of reports on failures and delays
- Liaising with a wide range of people informing of train service delays
- Receiving information that may affect those train services
The ability to communicate clearly and effectively and the ability to impart knowledge of service control operating and safety procedures is vital.
Where this career can take you
This apprenticeship is designed to support you in achieving a Service Controller role.
To do so, you'll need to:
- Pass your apprenticeship assessment
- Complete the 6-12 months traineeship
- Focus on your ability to process information
- Act in a highly pressurised situation