London Underground Electrical Installation - Level 3
Apprenticeship Standard: Installation Electrician and Maintenance Electrician
How long: 4 years
What you'll need
- A minimum of 2 GCSEs Grade 4 (C) and above, including Maths and English Language (or equivalents)
- You must be 18 years old by March 2024
You are not eligible for this scheme if:
- You currently hold or are working towards a qualification at the same or higher level in a related subject or have already studied content from the qualification for this scheme
- You already have a Level 3 Apprenticeship or qualifications in electrical installation
London Underground plays an essential role in our city's development. Our network covers 253 miles, serving 275 stations and carriers more than 5 million passengers a day.
The role of a London Underground engineering apprentice is critical to ensuring the ongoing performance and safety of our Tube network. The technological advancements we are seeing in our trains and operating infrastructure mean that we need to adapt the way we maintain our assets to keep them operating at peak performance. You'll be at the forefront of these developments whilst also keeping a watchful eye on our legacy assets across the network.
What you'll be doing
Apprentices will have the opportunity to learn from experienced and qualified staff through various placements across the organisation to gain a broad spectrum of knowledge through a hands-on approach to learning.
You will participate and work with competent teams that ensure the DLO Electrical Assets are maintained and delivered into service in a safe and timely manner. You'll be placed across a range of departments within the Electrical area, enabling you to experience and learn how the Electrical Division functions. You will learn how to:
- Read Electrical and Mechanical Drawings and how to write reports and fault findings
- Understand and apply the principles, practices and legislation for the termination and connection of conductors, cables and cords in electrical systems
- Carry out preparation and installation of wiring systems and electrotechnical equipment in buildings and structures
Example tasks include:
- Gather and report information
- Assemble tools, equipment and materials
- Check tools, equipment and materials for fitness for purpose
- Deal promptly and effectively with problems within his/her control
- Report deviations which cannot be solved
- Follow the correct process/operations for the allocated task
- Establish and maintain communication with the relevant persons
- Correctly establish scope and accuracy of testing
- Carry out required testing using correctly accessed equipment and methods
- Take action to rectify the defective asset
- Handover asset in accordance with company procedures
- Complete documentation in accordance with company procedures
Where this career can take you
This apprenticeship is just the start of your career, the roles and opportunities available to you are endless. You may want to progress onto an Apprenticeship at a higher level, or as a Senior Technician - Asset Performance - Stations.
Apprentices can also eventually aspire to senior management positions. We have a number of directors who started their career journeys as an apprentice for London Underground.