Visitor Oyster card
What is a Visitor Oyster card?
A Visitor Oyster card is a smartcard. It's a quick and easy way to pay for journeys on bus, Tube, tram, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line, River Bus and most National Rail services in London.
Put money on your Visitor Oyster card and use it to pay as you go.
Why buy a Visitor Oyster card?
- Buy a Visitor Oyster card before you leave home and have it delivered to you.
- Your card is ready to go as soon as you arrive in London, so no queuing at stations.
- Pay as you go fares are cheaper than buying a paper single ticket or Day Travelcard.
- Your Visitor Oyster card offers daily capping. This means you can travel as much as you like in a single day and the amount you pay for your travel is limited (or capped). Find prices for daily capping and Day Travelcards.
- Use your card and save money at restaurants, shops, galleries and entertainment venues.
On Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and most National Rail services in London
- Touch your Visitor Oyster card flat on a yellow card reader when you enter a station to start a journey
- At the end of your journey, touch your card flat on the yellow card reader as you leave the station; this means you'll be charged the correct fare for the journey you've taken
If you don't touch in and out on a yellow card reader, you might be charged a maximum fare, charged a penalty fare or prosecuted.
On bus and tram services
Only touch your Visitor Oyster card on the yellow card reader at the start of your journey. Don't touch out when you get off a bus or tram, or you will be issued with a penalty fare.
On the Thames Clippers River Bus services
Only touch in with your Visitor Oyster card on the yellow card reader when asked to do so by a member of staff and remember to touch out again at the end of your journey.
You can't top up pay as you go credit on your Visitor Oyster card at the pier, so make sure you have enough credit before you travel.
A Visitor Oyster card costs £5 (plus postage) and is pre-loaded with pay as you go credit for you to spend on travel. You can choose how much credit to add to your card: £10, £15, £20, £25, £30, £35, £40 or £50.
The credit on your card never expires - it stays there until you use it. If you run out of credit on your card, it's easy to top it up and use it again.
How much pay as you go credit to add?
- If you're visiting London for two days, start with £15 credit
- If you're visiting London for four days, start with £30 credit
Pay as you go fares
Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and National Rail services
Bus and tram services
On buses and trams an adult single pay as you go fare is £1.75 and the daily fare cap is £5.25. You can't use cash to pay for your bus fare.
Trains to/from Gatwick Airport
You can use pay as you go using your Visitor Oyster card on National Rail services between Gatwick Airport and central London.
Find the cost for a single journey on Southern or Thameslink train services to/from central London on our single fare finder.
Thames Clippers river bus services/IFS Cloud Cable Car
River buses and the IFS Cloud Cable Car are great ways to explore London.
You can pay as you go using your Visitor Oyster card on Thames Clippers river bus services. Find out more about paying for river bus services.
Your Visitor Oyster card is accepted on the IFS Cloud Cable Car. Pay as you go fares are up to 26% cheaper than buying a paper single ticket. Find out more about IFS Cloud Cable Car.
Top up - add more credit to your card
If you run out of credit on your Visitor Oyster card, it's easy to top it up at:
- Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and most National Rail stations
- Over 4,000 local shops in London called Oyster Ticket Stops - find your nearest Oyster Ticket Stop
- Visitor Centres
Cancelling your card
If you'd like to cancel your Visitor Oyster card before you've used it, you can ask for a refund by emailing email@example.com.
The pay as you go credit on your Visitor Oyster card never expires so you can keep your card until your next visit, or lend it to family and friends.
If you don't need your Visitor Oyster card, you can get the remaining credit refunded. The £5 you paid for your card won't be refunded.
Lost or stolen Visitor Oyster card?
You can't get a refund for any credit on your Visitor Oyster card if it's lost or stolen.
Travelling with children
Children under 11 travel free on buses and trams. Children under 11 also travel free on Tube, DLR, London Overground, Elizabeth line and some National Rail services when accompanied by a fare-paying adult (up to four children per adult).
If you're travelling with children aged 11-15, buy a Visitor Oyster card before you leave home and, when you arrive in London, you can ask a member of our staff to add a Young Visitor discount to a Visitor Oyster card at:
- most Tube stations
- our Visitor Centres
- Victoria National Rail station ticket office
Child must be present when adding a Young Visitor discount. This discount gives your child half adult rate pay as you go discount for up to 14 days.
Special offers and discounts
With your Visitor Oyster card you can enjoy special offers and discounts and save money in leading London restaurants, shops and entertainment venues - plus discounts on the IFS Cloud Cable Car.
Where to buy a Visitor Oyster card
You can't buy a Visitor Oyster card in London.
Go to the Visitor Shop website to buy your card before you leave home and it will be delivered to your home address.