Old Street roundabout
Removing the roundabout and returning the traffic to two-way will let us improve pedestrian crossings and add segregated cycle lanes. A new public space to be built around a new station entrance will make it easier to walk into and around the station and change between trains and buses.
It's likely that some of our plans will be adjusted as part of the Streetspace for London.
Switching traffic to two-way
Old Street roundabout is now running with two-way traffic.
The southeastern arm of the roundabout is temporarily closed to vehicles. The right turn from Old Street west in City Road south is permanently banned.
Take extra care when walking, cycling and driving in the area - traffic may be coming from a different direction than you're used to.
What we're doing
As part of the scheme we will:
- Remove the existing roundabout and close the northwest arm to create a new public space
- Switch road traffic movements to two-way
- Remodel the entrances to the Tube station by closing three of the four existing subway entrances. These will be replaced by two new station entrances, one accessible from Cowper Street and a main station entrance with a green roof to complement the public space and environment
- Improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists travelling through the junction with segregated cycle lanes and signal-controlled pedestrian crossings
- Build two new lifts to the St Agnes Well mall retail concourse. One will be a designated public lift and the other a service lift for the retail business and Tube station
Phase A - enabling works and site investigations
- Completed trial hole investigations on the pedestrianised area of Cowper Street
- Closed the end of Cowper Street nearest to the roundabout for pedestrians until early 2020. This lets us finish these works and build the new Cowper Street station entrance
Phase B - advanced highway works
- Removed the traffic islands on all four arms of the roundabout to make sure traffic flows safely during Phase C
- Closed the southeastern pedestrian subway (Subway 2) leading to St Agnes Well and the Tube
Phase C - main works
Since May 2019 we have:
- Closed the southeastern arm of the roundabout to traffic. Two-way traffic is now running around the junction
- Created dedicated cycle and pedestrian routes through the works site
- Installed a temporary service lift
- Completed diversion of a 24-inch Thames Water main
Other works in this phase include:
- Building the new entrance at Cowper Street and subway works
- Structural works to prepare for construction of new main entrance
- Highways and drainage works on the southeastern arm
Phase D - main works
Summer 2020 - October 2020
Main works will include:
- Closing the northwestern arm of the roundabout to traffic
- Building a new main station entrance
- Building two new lifts into St Agnes Well mall
- Transforming the roundabout into a new public space
- Permanently closing Subways 1 and 3
These works will be done Monday-Saturday, 07:00-19:00 with some night works between 20:30-05:30 because of Tube operations.
Public drop-in sessions suspended
Our public drop-in sessions are temporarily on hold. You can still contact us with any questions or comments.
Our dedicated public liaison officer can answer questions about the works:
Telephone: 07971 123 700
For general information about the project:
A public consultation on the proposals for Old Street was held between November 2014 and January 2015.
More than 1,300 comments were received. The headline results:
- 87% of respondents believed that the proposals would improve conditions for pedestrians and cyclists
- 63% believed that bus and tube passengers would also benefit
See the full consultation report on the Old Street roundabout consultation page.