Old Street roundabout
Removing the roundabout and returning the traffic to two-way will let us improve pedestrian crossings and add segregated cycle lanes. A new public space to be built around a new station entrance will make it easier to walk into and around the station and change between trains and buses.
Details of how your journey may be affected by our work in the area are on the Old Street roundabout travel advice page.
Traffic switched to two-way
Old Street roundabout is running in its final configuration - the northwestern arm of the junction is permanently closed and traffic is flowing two-way.
Measures to manage traffic will stay in place at the junction until the scheme is finished in autumn 2022.
The right turns from Old Street west into City Road south and from Mallow Street into Old Street east are permanently banned.
Take extra care when walking, cycling and driving in the area - traffic may be coming from a different direction than you're used to.
What we're doing
As part of the scheme we will:
- Remove the existing roundabout and close the northwest arm to create a new public space (done)
- Switch road traffic movements to two-way (done)
- Remodel the entrances to the Tube station by closing three of the four existing subway entrances. These will be replaced by two new station entrances, one accessible from Cowper Street and a main station entrance with a green roof to complement the public space and environment
- Improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists travelling through the junction with segregated cycle lanes and signal-controlled pedestrian crossings
- Build a new lift from street level to the St Agnes Well mall retail concourse
- Closed the end of Cowper Street nearest to the roundabout for pedestrians so we can build the new Cowper Street station entrance. This will be finished in summer 2021
- Closed the southeastern pedestrian subway (Subway 2) leading to St Agnes Well and the Tube station
- Closed the steps of Subway 4 and temporally diverted the green line toward Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Permanently closed the northwestern arm of the junction to traffic. Two-way traffic is now flowing
- Created dedicated cycle and pedestrian routes through the works site
- Building new traffic islands and cycle lanes across the site
- Refurbishing the steps of Subway 4 and reinstating the green line toward Moorfields Eye Hospital
- Building a new main station entrance to Old Street station
- Opening the new Cowper Street entrance to Old Street Station in summer 2021
- Building a new lift into St Agnes Well mall
- Transforming the roundabout into a new public space
- Permanently closing Subways 1 and 3
These works will be done Monday-Saturday, 07:00-19:00 with some night works between 20:30-05:30 because of Tube operations.
Public drop-in sessions
Our next public meeting is to be confirmed.
You can still contact us with any questions or comments.
The dedicated public liaison officer can answer questions about the works:
Telephone: 07971 123 700
For general information about the project:
A public consultation on the proposals for Old Street was held between November 2014 and January 2015.
More than 1,300 comments were received. The headline results:
- 87% of respondents believed that the proposals would improve conditions for pedestrians and cyclists
- 63% believed that bus and tube passengers would also benefit
See the full consultation report on the Old Street roundabout consultation page.