We have completed works on Cycle Superhighway 5 (CS5), creating a two-way segregated cycle track from Oval to Pimlico.
CS5 makes the route safer for cyclists and other road users by providing:
- A completely segregated two-way cycle track between Oval and Pimlico
- Signalised cycle junctions and a bus stop bypass
- A number of upgraded pedestrian crossings and additional footway space
The work is part of our Road Modernisation Plan.
We introduced a number of improvements along the route for cyclists and other road users including:
Vauxhall Bridge Road
- A segregated two-way cycle track on Vauxhall Bridge Road, with easier connections to Cycle Superhighway 8
- Wider footways and simplified pedestrian crossings at the Drummond Gate junction
- Shared footway area at the Millbank junction to help cyclists turn onto and from Cycle Superhighway 5
A two-way segregated cycle track over the bridge, providing a physical barrier for the 3,000 cyclists that use the bridge every day
- Pedestrian crossing and junction improvements
- Existing cycle track converted to one-way under the rail bridge
- Redesign of shared cyclist/pedestrian spaces to improve safety and comfort
- A footway level segregated cycle track
- New and upgraded pedestrian crossings
- A bus stop bypass where cyclists are taken behind the bus shelter, away from traffic
We held consultations on the section of CS5 between Oval and Belgravia from July to September 2014. See the CS5 Oval to Belgravia consultation page.