We will make changes on the stretch of the A406 Gunnersbury Avenue between Chiswick roundabout and Popes Lane to improve the safety of people driving, cycling and walking.
Works that began in January 2019 will continue through to the summer.
All roads around Gunnersbury Avenue will stay open during the works and there will be access to properties. However, some temporary lane closures will be needed and the area may be busier than usual.
What we are doing
We developed proposals to improve safety on this section of the A406 North Circular because of the number and severity of collisions and near misses there.
The changes will include:
- Extending the central reservation island between Park Way and Larch Drive to separate opposing traffic lanes, ensuring vehicles can't use oncoming lanes to overtake. This will also remove the risk of collisions involving right-turning vehicles
- Making lane widths consistent to allow motorcyclists to filter safely
- Improving cycle and pedestrian sections on the Gunnersbury Avenue western footway to match the segregated facilities on Power Road Bridge
To minimise the overall impact of construction we will do the work in three phases:
- Phase one (Complete): moved the kerb on the eastern side of Gunnersbury Avenue (between Park Way and Power Road Bridge) to widen the road, providing space for the new central island - this involved diverting underground utilities (such as water pipes and electrical cables) and installing the new kerb line
- Phase two: (Complete) extend the central reservation from Park Way to Larch Drive. It is no longer possible to make a right turn onto the A406 Gunnersbury Avenue from any side road between Chiswick roundabout and Park Way. This is a permanent change
- Phase three: resurface the road and install new road markings between Park Way and the Chiswick roundabout. Minor works on Larch Drive crossing and the cemetery entrance will also take place during this phase from early to late June 2019
We will update this page with details and dates of phase three nearer the time.
How your travel might be affected
- We will work seven days a week, 07:30-17:00 on weekdays and 09:00-17:00 at weekends, to complete the scheme as quickly as possible
- During phase three - until mid-June 2019 - the A406 Gunnersbury Avenue will be reduced to one lane northbound towards Popes Lane. Expect delays if driving, especially during morning and evening peak hours
The A406 between Popes Lane and Chiswick roundabout will be fully closed:
- Southbound: Tuesday 18 June to Saturday 22 June 2019, 22:00-05:00 each night
- Northbound: Saturday 22 June to Wednesday 26 June 2019, 22:00-05:00 each night
We may need to change the way traffic is managed at various stages throughout construction so our contractors have a safe workspace.
To stay up-to-date and avoid disruption to your journey check on tfl.gov.uk/trafficnews or follow @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter.
Pedestrians and cyclists
Pedestrians and cyclists will have access along the A406 Gunnersbury Avenue at all times. Any temporary changes will be clearly signed.
Minimising noise and disruption
Normal working hours are 07:30-17:00 on weekdays and 09:00-17:00 at weekends. All working times are agreed with the London Borough of Hounslow.
We will do everything we can to reduce noise and disruption where possible. However, some noise is unavoidable.
We are working on this project in partnership with Conway Aecom.
We are working closely with the London Borough of Hounslow to minimise disruption and ensure the works proceed as safely, efficiently and as quickly as possible.
We consulted on these plans in early 2016. Our consultation summary report can be found on the A406 Gunnersbury Avenue consultation page. 75% of people who responded said they supported or partially supported our proposals.