South Kensington escalator works
The works are to replace old Piccadilly line escalators. FInd out more about the project.
Travelling to the area
Get detailed information on travel to the NHS vaccination centre at the Science Museum.
- From the west, change - by crossing a single platform - at Hammersmith or Barons Court for the District line to South Kensington
- From the east, exit at Knightsbridge and walk, cycle or catch one of many buses to South Kensington. Follow signs on the street from both Gloucester Road and Knightsbridge stations
- Or use interchanges at Finsbury Park or Green Park to the Victoria line, and then at Victoria for the Circle and District lines to South Kensington
Planned engineering works - Saturday 18 September and Sunday 19 September
- No District or Circle line service at South Kensington
- No District or Circle line service at High Street Kensington
You can take the Piccadilly line to Knightsbridge. South Kensington is then a short walk, or local bus ride. Or you can hire a Santander cycle. Plan your journey.
District and Circle lines
These lines stop at South Kensington during the escalator works, apart from during planned engineering works.
Interchanging from the Circle or District lines to the Piccadilly line
If you are travelling from stations between Edgware Road and High Street Kensington, use the District Line to Earl's Court and change there for the Piccadilly line (not during planned engineering works).
Walking and cycling
If you're travelling to the museums and attractions, Knightsbridge, High Street Kensington, Earl's Court (step-free) and Lancaster Gate are all within walking and cycling distance. Gloucester Road will be busy during the works.
Detailed bus information for travelling to and from the South Kensington area
From Knightsbridge to South Kensington:
From stop KC on the A4 Brompton Road:
From the South Kensington area to Knightsbridge
From stop E on Cromwell Place or stop M on Thurloe Place:
Bus 74 also stops at GL on the A4 Cromwell Road
From Earls Court to South Kensington
Catch Bus 74 from Stop C on Warwick Road to stop GL on Cromwell Road
Bus C1 from stop A on Earl's Court Road to stop M on Thurloe Place
From South Kensington to Earls Court
Catch Bus 74 from Stop GU on Cromwell Road to stop A on Earls Court Road
Bus C1 from stop N on Thurloe Place to stop C on Warwick Road
Step free options
From Earl's Court to South Kensington:
Bus C1 from stop A on Earl's Court Road
From Green Park to South Kensington and Royal Brompton Hospital:
Bus 14 from stop H on the A4 Piccadilly
Buses to Royal Brompton Hospital:
From Gloucester Road:
Bus 49 from stop GS on Gloucester Road
From Knightsbridge Stop KJ on Sloane Street:
Leaving the South Kensington area
Take the District line and change - by crossing a single platform - to the Piccadilly line at Hammersmith or Barons Court. (not during planned engineering works).
Walk, cycle, or catch one of many buses to Knightsbridge for the Piccadilly line. Follow the signs on the street to Knightsbridge station.
Or use the District and Circle lines at South Kensington as normal (not during planned engineering works).
There may be a controlled queuing system on Thurloe Street to keep people safe at the busiest times.
Follow our Safer travel guidance
Use our travel tools
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools. Keep up-to-date with the latest service information.
- The TfL Go app
- The TfL TravelBot on Facebook Messenger
- Journey Planner can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
- The latest status updates for roads in the area around London Bridge
- Nearby, which uses your current location or a postcode or address of your choice and places you on a map, showing you Tube, bus, river, London Overground, DLR, TfL Rail and Santander Cycles locations around you
- Our email updates