If you're travelling in London between mid-November and Tuesday 3 January 2017, service changes, planned works and events may affect your journey. This page contains travel advice and free travel information for New Year's Eve: Saturday 31 December.
London's New Year's Eve fireworks take place in central London today. Service changes include:
- Free travel on Transport for London's network between 23:45 and 04:30
- Tube: Services run throughout the night
- Buses: Saturday service, diversions in central London from early afternoon, bus hubs will be in operation. Some day routes run into the night
- London Overground: Saturday frequency service, no service between Romford and Upminster, and the Gospel Oak to Barking closure continues. Some services run throughout the night
- Driving: The Congestion Charge won't apply, and some roads and bridges in central London will closed
- DLR: Services run throughout the night
- TfL Rail: Replacement buses between Chadwell Heath and Shenfield. Trains every 15 minutes on the rest of the line including throughout the night
- Trams: Services run throughout the night
- Taxis: An extra £4 per journey after 20:00
- Cycling: Some docking stations in central London are suspended
- Rivers: No service on RB6, early finishes on RB1 and RB1X
New Year's Eve fireworks
The Mayor of London's annual fireworks celebration takes place by the London Eye on The Queen's Walk.
You'll need a
ticket to attend the event. The first batch have sold out but you can sign up for ticket alerts for the final ticket release on Friday 2 December on the Mayor of London's site.
Between 23:45 and 04:30, you can travel free on Transport for London's network. This includes the Tube, London Overground, buses, the DLR, TfL Rail and Trams.
Map of service changes
View the map below or download the PDF to see changes on the Tube and rail network today.
Please read on for detailed travel advice by transport mode.
- No District line service between Earl's Court and Kensington (Olympia)
Throughout the night, the Tube will run except:
- Waterloo & City line - runs until 02:40
- Some stations may close at times during the night
For up-to-date information on how transport services are running, see our status updates
page or follow @TfLTravelAlerts on Twitter.
From early afternoon:
- Central London routes will be diverted
- Bus hubs will be in operation
- Some day routes will run overnight
- Check back nearer the time for more details
For the latest information on how buses are running, see our bus status updates page or follow @TfLBusAlerts on Twitter.
The following services will run at night:
- Stratford-Camden Road: Last train leaves Stratford at 03:00, last train leaves Camden Road at 03:00
- Highbury & Islington-West Croydon: Last train leaves Highbury & Islington at 02:52, last train leaves West Croydon at 03:56
- Highbury & Islington-Crystal Palace: Last train leaves Highbury & Islington at 03:02, last train leaves Crystal Palace at 03:35
- Liverpool Street-Enfield Town/Cheshunt: hourly throughout the night
For the latest information on how the London Overground is running, see our status updates page
@LDNOverground on Twitter.
- The Congestion Charge won't apply today
- There will be road and bridge closures in central London for the New Year's Eve celebrations
- For information on expected traffic over the festive period, please check back at the beginning of December
For live traffic information, see our traffic status updates page or follow @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter.
Check National Rail's Christmas and New Year page for information about
all service changes on New Year's Eve.
- A Saturday service
- A different timetable runs throughout the festive period. For live departures, see our DLR section
The following services will run every 15 minutes throughout the night:
- Bank and Lewisham
- Stratford and Canary Wharf
- Tower Gateway and Beckton
- Bank and Woolwich Arsenal
- Stratford International and Canning Town
For the latest information on how the DLR is running, follow @LondonDLR on Twitter.
- Replacement buses will run between Chadwell Heath to Shenfield. Last bus at Shenfield leaves at 23:37, and last bus at Chadwell Heath leaves at 03:08
- Trains will run every 15 minutes on the rest of the line, and run throughout the night
For live departures and more, see our TfL Rail section or follow @TfLRail on Twitter.
Services run every 30 minutes throughout the night between:
- Wimbledon and Beckenham Junction
- Wimbledon and New Addington
For the latest information on how trams are running, visit our status updates page or follow
@TramsLondon on Twitter.
Taxis & minicabs
- After 20:00, each black cab journey will cost an extra £4
- Taxis and minicabs are available throughout the festive period
- Some roadworks may affect journey times
Find more information in our taxi and minicabs section.
- There will be a normal service, but you can contact your coach operator to check your
The following Santander Cycle docking stations will be suspended for the New Year's Eve celebrations:
- Baylis Road
- Belvedere Road
- Bouverie Street
- Colombo Street
- Concert Hall Approach
- Craven Street
- Embankment (Savoy)
- Godliman Street
- Horse Guards Avenue
- Jubilee Gardens
- Lambeth North Station
- Lambeth Palace Road
- Lower Marsh
- Milroy Walk
- Northumberland Avenue
- Queen Street
- Queen Victoria Street
- Smith Square
- Somerset House
- Southwark Station
- Stamford Street
- Storey's Gate
- Tallis Street
- Waterloo Bridge
- Waterloo Road
- Waterloo Station
- Whitehall Place
Check availability of Santander Cycles using the online docking station map, or visit our cycling section for full information on cycling in London.
Normal service except:
- No service on RB6
- Early finish on RB1
- Early finish on RB1X
To find out more about river services, see our river section or follow @TfLRiver on Twitter
Emirates Air Line
- Open as normal between 08:00-23:00
Find out more in our Emirates Air Line section or follow @EmiratesAirLine on Twitter.