Over Christmas and New Year, most of the TfL network is open. However, there are changes and planned works that may affect your journey.
Travel on TfL public transport will be free from 23:45 on New Year's Eve until 04:30 on New Year's Day.
For travel after 04:30 tomorrow, see our New Year's Day page.
You must have a ticket for the Mayor of London's New Year's Eve fireworks event in central London. If you do not have a ticket, there are plenty of other places to celebrate the New Year. For more information (including what you can bring to the event) visit www.london.gov.uk/nye
There are changes and planned works on the following services today. All our other services are running normally.
See our Status updates map for Monday 31 December for Tube, Overground, TfL Rail, DLR and tram services.
We are running a special all-night service on most lines:
- No Piccadilly line service between Rayners Lane and Uxbridge
- First trains will be at weekday times
- On most lines, trains will run every 2-8 minutes in central London and every 5-15 minutes in outer areas and on branches until 04:30 on New Year's Day
- The Waterloo & City line will run every 3-10 minutes until about 02:30
- Services are not as frequent on some sections of the Central, Circle, Hammersmith & City, Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines. Check your journey
The following Tube stations will be closed or exit-only:
- Blackfriars station - between 23:30 until 04:30, open for Tube services only (National Rail trains will not stop)
- Chalk Farm - closed from 22:00
- Charing Cross - closed from 19:00
- Covent Garden - exit only from 19:00
- Embankment - closed from 23:30 until 00:15
- Lambeth North - closed from 23:30
- Leicester Square - exit only from 20:00, closed from 23:30
- Piccadilly Circus - closed from 23:30
- Southwark - exit only from 23:45
- St Paul's - exit only from 23:45
- Westminster - interchange only from 21:30
For travel after 04:30 please check our New Year's Day page.
There are changes to services today:
- A weekday service is running:
- between Highbury & Islington and Crystal Palace / West Croydon
- between Dalston Junction and New Cross / Clapham Junction
- A Saturday service is runing:
- between Richmond / Clapham Junction and Stratford
- between Watford Junction and Euston
- No service between South Tottenham and Barking
- No service between Romford and Upminster
- No service between Edmonton Green and Cheshunt
- Reduced service between Liverpool Street and Chingford (trains about every 20 minutes, not stopping at Bethnal Green, Hackney Downs and Clapton)
- Reduced service between Liverpool Street and Edmonton Green / Enfield Town (trains about every 20 minutes, not stopping at Bethnal Green, Cambridge Heath, London Fields and Hackney Downs)
- Special all-night service between Highbury & Islington and New Cross Gate (trains run about every 15 minutes)
- Special service between Willesden Junction and Stratford (trains run about 15 minutes until 02:30)
- Special service between Liverpool Street and Enfield Town (not stopping at Bethnal Green, Cambridge Heath, London Fields or Hackney Downs) every 30 minutes until 02:30
- Use replacement or local buses - check Status updates
Follow @LDNOverground for news and service information.
There are changes to services today:
- No service between Liverpool Street and Romford
- Trains run about every 15 minutes between Romford and Shenfield all day and overnight
- Replacement buses run between Stratford and Romford about every 10-15 minutes, except between 00:00 (midnight) and 05:30 when buses run about every 30 minutes
Paddington-Heathrow Terminal 4
- Trains will not stop at Heathrow Terminal 4 after midnight
- Trains run between Paddington and Hayes & Harlington, not stopping at Acton Main Line, about every 30 minutes until 00:30, then about every 30 minutes until 04:30 when a normal weekday service runs
Follow @TfLRail for news and service information.
- We are running a special all-night service
- Trains run every 15 minutes on all routes from 00:30 until 08:00
We are running a Saturday service today.
- There is a special all-night service every 30 minutes between Wimbledon and Beckenham Junction / New Addington
- This runs until Sunday first tram times on New Year's Day
Follow @TramsLondon for news and service information
- A Saturday service is running until 14:00, with changes for New Year's Eve celebrations
- An enhanced Saturday service is running on route 507
- A limited service is running on normal Monday to Friday only routes 521 and X68
Buses after 14:00
- From 14:00, bus routes in central London will be diverted or stop short of their final destination in preparation for the ticketed fireworks celebration
- If you are not attending the fireworks event, begin your bus journey before 14:00, if you can, to avoid delays
Buses after 19:30
From 19:30, buses will operate from hub locations:
- Elephant & Castle - for south-east, south-west and south London
- Holborn - for east and north-east London
- Oxford Circus - for east, west and north-west London
- Tottenham Court Road - for north and north-east London
- Green Park - for west and south-west London
- Victoria - for south, south-west and north-west London
These services are running all night:
Whole route: 51, 56, 97, 109, 115, 118, 161, 248, 333, 358, 414, 415, 422, 432 and 476
Part of route: 45, 174, 185, 388
Most bus services are expected to return to normal by 06:00 except those affected by the New Year's Day parade.
See all today's planned bus changes on our Bus status updates map for Monday 31 December.
Follow @TfLBusAlerts for news and service information.
- The Congestion Charge and T-Charge do not apply today
- From 14:00 there will be road closures around Victoria Embankment, Westminster Bridge, Whitehall and St. James's Park. There will be further closures from 17:00 on Waterloo Bridge and the South Bank
- Most roads should reopen by 06:00 or as soon as it is safe to do so, except those affected by the New Year's Day Parade
- See our traffic status updates map for 31 December
Follow @TfLTrafficNews for news and traffic information.
Taxis & minicabs
- There is an extra charge of £4 if you are travelling from 20:00 tonight until 06:00 on Wednesday 2 January. For private hire (including minicabs) there may be an extra charge - check when you book
- Some taxi and minicab journeys may take longer because of road closures for the fireworks display in central London. Allow plenty of time for your journey.
Services will finish early from 21:00. The last stop at London Eye Pier will be at 15:19 to enable preparations for the fireworks. Services will stop calling at other piers from 18:45.
Follow @TfLRiver for news and service information.
Check National Rail's Christmas page for information about service changes and planned works over the festive season.