Over the Christmas period, the vast majority of the TfL network is open. Until the beginning of January 2018, some events, service changes and planned works may affect your journey. This page contains travel advice for New Year's Day, Monday 1 January 2018.
**The information on this page relates to New Year's Day 2018. Please check back nearer the time for details of New Year's Day 2019**
Today's service changes include:
- Tube: Reduced service from 04:30 and then a Saturday service from 11:00. No Northern line service between Charing Cross and Kennington from approximately 18:00
- Buses: Sunday service with diversions in central London from early afternoon for the New Year's Day parade
- London Overground: No service between Romford and Upminster, Edmonton Green and Cheshunt and the Gospel Oak to Barking closure continues
- Driving: The Congestion Charge and T-Charge won't apply, and some roads in central London will be closed
- DLR: Overnight service until 10:00, then there's a weekend service
- TfL Rail: No service on the entire line. Replacement buses will call at all stations (except Liverpool Street and Maryland), as well as Newbury Park for the Central line
- Trams: Amended Sunday service
- Taxis: An extra £4 per journey
- Cycling: Some docking stations in central London will be suspended
- Rivers: Weekend service
New Year's Day parade
The annual London New Year's Day parade 2018 will take place on Monday 1 January 2018 from 12:00 to 15:30. Road closures and bus diversions will be in place before, during and after the event. Check the driving and buses section below for details on how your travel will be affected.
The Parade takes place on closed roads in Piccadilly following a route via Piccadilly Circus, Lower Regent Street, Waterloo Place, Pall Mall, Cockspur Street, Trafalgar Square, Whitehall and will finish in Parliament Square. View the parade route on the official website.
- Reduced service between 04:30 and 11:00, there's a Saturday service for the rest of the day
- No service on the Northern line between Charing Cross and Kennington from 18:00
Some stations near the New Year's Day Parade route will be busier than usual. These include:
- Green Park
- Piccadilly Circus
- St James's Park
For up-to-date information on how transport services are running, see our status updates page or follow @TfLTravelAlerts on Twitter.
No services today
Replacement buses will run:
- Approximately every 15 minutes between Chadwell Heath and Shenfield, calling at: Romford, Gidea Park, Harold Wood, Brentwood, as well as Newbury Park (for the Central line)
- Approximately every 10 minutes between Stratford and Romford, calling at: Forest Gate, Manor Park, Ilford, Seven Kings, Goodmayes and Chadwell Heath
For Maryland, please walk or use local buses to/from Stratford.
Check our Christmas travel closures for more information, or follow @TfLRail on Twitter.
- An amended Saturday service will run
- No service between Romford and Upminster - use bus 370 instead
- No service between Edmonton Green and Cheshunt (until Monday 1 January 2018)
- Reduced services from Liverpool Street to Enfield Town/Chingford with trains not stopping at Bethnal Green, Cambridge Heath, London Fields, Hackney downs and Clapton
- The Gospel Oak to Barking closure continues
For the latest information on how the London Overground is running, see our status updates page or follow @LDNOverground on Twitter.
Map of closures
The following map shows closures on the Tube and rail network today:
Check National Rail's Christmas and New Year page for information about service changes on New Year's Day.
- An overnight timetable will run until 10:00, then there's a weekend service
- A different timetable runs throughout the Christmas period. For live departures, see our DLR section
For the latest information on how the DLR is running, follow @LondonDLR on Twitter.
Amended Sunday service.
For the latest information on how trams are running, visit our status updates page or follow @TramsLondon on Twitter.
- There will be road closures in central London for the New Year's Day parade
- The Congestion Charge and T-Charge won't apply today
- See the travel advice for road users page for expected traffic from roadworks over the festive period
- Highbury Corner Bridge: A1 Holloway Road closed in both directions between Highbury Corner roundabout and Digswell Street. Local access arrangements necessary and routes on diversion
- Chelsea Embankment works: Chelsea Embankment will be closed to westbound traffic from Chelsea Bridge Road to Beaufort Street
Following the New Year's Eve fireworks and for the parade, there will be road closures in central London to allow large crowds to gather for the parade. The closures include:
Until 18:00 Monday 1 January
- Arlington Street
- Berkeley Square
- Berkeley Street
- Bridge Street
- Cockspur Street
- Horse Guards Avenue
- Hyde Park Corner
- Lower Regent Street
- Pall Mall
- Parliament Square
- Piccadilly Circus
- Regent Street
- Shaftesbury Avenue Westbound
- St James's Street
- Strand Westbound
- Trafalgar Square
- Victoria Street
- Waterloo Place
All streets surrounding these areas will also be closed.
For live traffic information, see our traffic status updates page or follow @TfLTrafficNews on Twitter.
- A Sunday service will run
- Following the New Year's Eve fireworks and for the New Year's Day Parade, some buses will be busier than usual, diverted from their route, or terminate early in central London. From 06:00 to approximately 18:00 on Monday 1 January 2018, the following bus routes will be affected due to the event road closures:
3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 14, 15, 15H, 19, 22, 23, 24, 29, 38, 53, 87, 88, 91, 94, 139, 148, 159, 176, 211 and 453
For the latest information on how buses are running, see our bus status updates page or follow @TfLBusAlerts on Twitter.
- The National Express A7 from Victoria to Stansted Airport will not stop at Waterloo or Southwark until 07:00. Please board at Victoria instead
- Otherwise, there will be a normal service, but you can contact your coach operator to check your journey
- Victoria Coach Station's ticket office will be open 08:00-20:00 today, and the left luggage service is open 08:00-22:00
Taxis & minicabs
- Each black cab journey will cost an extra £4
- Taxis and minicabs are available throughout the Christmas period
- Roadworks and the New Year's Day may affect journey times
Find more information in our taxi and minicabs section.
Due to the road closures required for New Year's Eve fireworks and New Year's Day parade, the following docking stations will be suspended from 18:00 on Friday 29 December until 18:00 on Monday 1 January 2018:
- Abingdon Green
- Belvedere Road 1&2
- Craven Street
- Embankment (Savoy)
- Jubilee Gardens
- Northmuberland Avenue
- Storey's Gate
- Waterloo Road
- Waterloo Staiton 1,2,32
- Whitehall Place
Until Tuesday 2 January 2018:
- Baylis Road
- Bouverie Street
- Colombo Street
- Concert Hall Approach
- Lambeth North Station
- Lower Marsh
- Milroy Walk
- Queen Street
- Smith Square
- Somerset House
- Southwark Station
- Stamford Street
- Tallis Street
- Waterloo Bridge
- Lambeth Palace Road
Follow @SantanderCycles on Twitter for the latest updates
Santander Cycles app
The Santander Cycles App for Android and iOS smartphones is free to download for both members and casual users. In addition to viewing the nearest docking station and bike availability, the App sends a 'bike release' code straight to a user's phone, which means hiring a Santander cycle without having to use the docking station terminal.
Check availability of Santander Cycles using the online docking station map, or visit our cycling section for full information on cycling in London.