London Bridge is closed in both directions to all traffic except buses, licensed taxis, motoryclists and cyclists.
The City of London is carrying out essential maintenance works to London Bridge.
Until the end of October 2020 London Bridge is closed in both directions to all traffic except buses, licensed taxis, motorcyclists and cyclists.
There are diversions over Tower Bridge and Blackfriars Bridge. These river crossings are extremely busy - seek alternative routes across the river if possible.
You are able to walk across the bridge throughout the works, but there is less space than usual as we need need to close one pavement until early August.
Check Status updates for roads around London Bridge.
All road users are getting used to the new layout. Be especially aware of people walking and crossing the road
- There are clear signs for diversions to cross the river via Blackfriars Bridge and Tower Bridge
- These diversions are very busy
- Roads on both approaches to London Bridge are extremely busy especially between 06:00 and 09:00 and 16:00 and 19:00 - retime your journey if possible
- If you are trying to cross the river from the north and your destination is not the immediate Southwark area, please remain on the Victoria Embankment and cross and use any other suitable river crossing
- Only vehicles less than 18 tonnes are permitted to use Tower Bridge
- If you are running haulage trips through the area, consider re routing to avoid delays and disruption
Tour buses and coach drivers
- Tour buses and coaches are able to use London Bridge as usual throughout the works - journey times will be longer
- The road is fully closed on one side of the bridge
- Two- way traffic is running on the opposite side where you would normally only see vehicles travelling south towards Borough
- Check both ways before crossing the road, both on the bridge and at the crossings at either end.
- Marshals are in place to help you
- You can to cycle across London Bridge as usual throughout the works
- There is only one lane open in each direction
- These lanes are narrower than usual
- Do not try to overtake vehicles - space is limited
- You may have a better journey if you use a different route such as Southwark Bridge or travel outside the busiest times
- Buses are still be able to travel across London Bridge
- They don't pick up or drop off passengers on the bridge itself
- The northbound (Q, M) and southbound (P,Y) bus stops at either end of the bridge are closed
Check Status updates for buses.
Other ways of travelling
The closure does not affect the Tube, London Overground, TfL Rail or the DLR.
Check Status updates for the Tube, London Overground TfL Rail, the DLR and trams.
Advice for businesses
We advise businesses in the area to:
Use our travel tools
Check before you travel and plan ahead using our travel tools. Keep up-to-date with the latest service information.
- The TfL TravelBot on Facebook Messenger
- Plan a journey, which can help you plan your route by public transport, cycling or walking
- The latest status updates for roads in the area around London Bridge
- Nearby, which uses your current location or a postcode or address of your choice and places you on a map, showing you Tube, bus, river, London Overground, DLR, TfL Rail and Santander Cycles locations around you
- Our email updates