Scheme is closed to new applications 

Following enthusiastic uptake, all funding has now been claimed. This information is for existing applications. 

If your vehicle does not meet the required Ultra Low Emission Zone standards, you can walk or cycle wherever possible, or use public transport. Explore other transport options.

Existing applications 

If you've already applied to the scheme, we aim to contact you within 10 working days with the status of your application. We may ask you for more information. You can find all the criteria for existing applications below.

If your application is approved, you will get a confirmation of eligibility letter from TfL.

Approved applications

Once your application has been approved and you have received a confirmation of eligibility letter from TfL, follow these steps:

1. Scrap your vehicle at an Authorised Treatment Facility. They will give you a Certificate of Destruction.

2. Upload an image of the Certificate to your London road user charging (LRUC) account (Remember, you must be logged into the same account that you submitted your application from, or your grant payment will be delayed) 

We aim to contact you within 10 working days with the outcome. We will send your grant payment by post to the named applicant at the address on the LRUC account. 

Do not scrap your vehicle until we have confirmed that you can do so.  

TfL will not be liable for any costs you incur if you decide to scrap your vehicle before receiving the confirmation of eligibility letter from us. 

Discounts and promotions 

Once approved, you can also access a range of special discounts and deals like a year's free membership of the popular Santander bike hire scheme, with all rides up to 30 minutes for free.  

We have also secured promotions from other organisations to support the Mayor's effort to clean up toxic air, and help all Londoners avoid polluting when they travel.  

If you receive benefits, are disabled, over 60 or travelling with young children, you are also likely to be eligible for free or discounted travel on the TfL network

Ask about an existing application or submit more information  

If we have asked you for more information about an existing application, you can submit it by making an enquiry. For example, if you own a business as a sole trader, we may ask you to send us a completed 'State Aid declaration'. You can also ask questions about the scheme.  

If you would like to withdraw your application, please tell us.  

Criteria for existing applications  

The scheme has two grant payments: 

  • £1,000 to scrap a motorcycle or moped 
  • £2,000 to scrap a car 

For TfL to approve your existing grant application, you must live within one of the 32 London boroughs or the City of London and be getting one or more of the benefits below:  

  • Universal Credit 
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment 
  • Attendance Allowance 
  • Carer's Allowance 
  • Child Tax Credit 
  • Constant Attendance Allowance 
  • Disability Living Allowance 
  • Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Housing Benefit 
  • Income Support 
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 
  • Jobseeker's Allowance 
  • Pension Credit 
  • Personal Independence Payment 
  • Severe Disablement Allowance 
  • War Pensions Mobility Supplement 
  • Working Tax Credit 

To prove you claim a benefit, you need to show: 

  • Your most recent award letter (which must not be more than 12 months old), or 
  • Screenshots that show your full Universal Credit service statement  

If your proof of benefits does not show your address, you will also need to provide a proof of address such as a bank statement, utility bill or driving licence. 

Criteria for the vehicle 

 The cars, motorcycle or moped that you have applied to scrap must: 

  • Be registered by the applicant with the DVLA (or to someone who lives at the same address as the applicant)  
  • Owned for more than 12 months before 23 October 2019 
  • Insured 
  • Have up-to-date MOT and road tax 
  • Not meet the ULEZ emission standards 

To show that the vehicle is registered at your address and that it is roadworthy, you need your: 

  • V5C logbook (registration document) 
  • Up-to-date vehicle insurance certificate 
  • Up-to-date MOT certificate 

If the vehicle is registered to someone who lives at the same address as you, you need to prove they live with you by submitting a proof of address. For example, a bank statement, utility bill or driving licence, that is in their name and at your address. 

Keep in mind: 

  • The name on your London Road User account must be the name of the benefit holder 
  • The address on your London Road User account must match the address on your proof of benefits and the address where the vehicle is registered 

Acceptable files 

Photos, scans or screenshots of documents are accepted, but they must show the entire page and be clear enough to read. For example, you can use your phone to take photos of the documents and upload these to us. 

JPG, PNG or PDF file formats are accepted. 

Delicensed Taxis 

Registered keepers of a taxi that has already received a grant under the TfL taxi delicensing scheme cannot scrap that vehicle under the car and motorcycle scrappage scheme. 

Your benefits and tax status may be affected 

Some means-tested benefits are affected by the amount of money you have in savings. 

The ULEZ Car and Motorcycle scrappage scheme grant payment may be treated as savings. If the grant payment is treated as savings, and takes you over the permitted savings limits, your current means-tested benefits may be affected. 

Find out more about how benefits can be affected by lump sum payouts

Sole traders 

If you are a sole trader and have claimed capital allowances in respect of the scrapped vehicle, you may wish to seek advice as to whether the Car and Motorcycle scrappage scheme payment grant will affect your entitlement to any means-tested benefits. 

TfL will have no liability to you if the Car and Motorcycle scrappage scheme grant payment affects any means-tested benefits you receive. Please refer to our terms and conditions for further information. 

Your data  

See how TfL uses your data on the Road User Charging privacy page.