Mayor of London

Oyster refunds & replacements

Lost or stolen cards

If your registered or protected Oyster card is lost or stolen, we may be able to replace it by post, or by transferring your Travelcard or pay as you go credit to a new card.

Find out how to register and protect your Oyster card.

Replacement by post

If you've got a Bus & Tram Pass or an Oyster card with a discount entitlement on it that's lost or stolen, we'll send you a replacement by post. However, if you have a Bus & Tram Discount and a Bus & Tram Pass on your lost or stolen Oyster card we are only able to process a refund for the days remaining on your ticket.

You can report your Oyster card as lost or stolen online and we'll stop your card so no one else can use it and post you a replacement. If you don't have an online Oyster account, call Customer Services to get a replacement.

If it takes us longer than five working days to send you a replacement (from the day you reported it as lost and confirmed you are the card owner), a refund may be considered from the sixth day. You will need to provide receipts or tickets as proof of travel.

Your new Oyster card will still have any Travelcard, Bus & Tram Pass and pay as you go credit that was on your lost or stolen Oyster card. If you have a discount entitlement, you might have to get it reloaded onto your replacement Oyster card.

We only replace lost or stolen Oyster cards which have some pay as you go credit or at least five days' travel remaining on the season ticket.

Transferring Travelcards and pay as you go credit

If you had a Travelcard or pay as you go credit on your lost or stolen Oyster card, we can arrange for it to be transferred to another Oyster card registered with your details.

You'll need to get a new Oyster card and register it by completing an Oyster registration form. You can register your Oyster card at Tube, London Overground and TfL Rail stations, Visitor and Travel Information Centres, some National Rail station ticket offices or at Oyster Ticket Stops.

If you've got an Oyster online account and details of your lost or stolen Oyster card added to it, you can arrange a transfer online. To arrange it:

  • Sign in to your Oyster online account - if you don't have an account, sign up for one
  • Click on the 'My Card' tab, select your lost or stolen Oyster card number from the drop down list (if you've got more than one card attached to your online acount), and then select 'Transfer products'. Follow the on-screen instructions

Transferring your Travelcards and pay as you go credit to another Oyster card is an overnight process. Once it's been done, no one can use your lost or stolen Oyster card to travel.

If you don't have your lost or stolen Oyster card added to an online account, call our Customer Services team.

Faulty Oyster card

If your Oyster card doesn't work when you touch it on a yellow card reader, it may be faulty. Take it to a Tube station, along with identification showing your name and address. Any tickets and/or pay as you go credit you have on the card will be transferred to a new one for free. You may have to complete a failed Oyster card form. 

Types of refund

Oyster cards no longer needed

If you no longer need your Oyster card we'll refund any remaining pay as you go credit, the remaining value of any Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass season ticket and the deposit, if you paid one.

To get a refund you can:   

  • Post us your Oyster card   
  • Call Customer Services 

You will need to send your Oyster card to us to get your deposit refunded.

If you have up to £10 pay as you go credit on your Oyster card you may be able to get a refund at a Tube station ticket machine. Find out about refunds at ticket machines.

Season ticket on Oyster no longer needed

We'll normally refund the remaining value of a Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass you don't need any more, but as soon as you've stopped using it, you should either:   

  • Post us your Oyster card    
  • Call Customer Services

Your Oyster card will be stopped and you won't be able to use it again.

Oyster cards stolen or destroyed by fire

We may refund any fares you pay while you're waiting for a replacement Oyster card in the post, or for your Travelcard or pay as you go credit to be transferred to a new Oyster card, if you're able to provide either:   

  • A copy of the crime reference report   
  • A letter from the fire service or your insurance company, proving that it has been destroyed in the fire

The refund will be calculated from the day you reported the Oyster card stolen or destroyed and we confirm you as the registered Oyster card owner.

Oyster cards left at home or temporarily mislaid

If you have a valid Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass on your Oyster card and leave it at home or temporarily mislay it, we will consider giving you a refund.

If you have left your Oyster card at home, use a contactless payment card or another Oyster card to pay as you go. You must provide original tickets or receipts for the fares you paid on the day and we will refund you the pro rata day value of your Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass. If you used another Oyster card or contactless payment card, call us to get a refund. We'll need to know the details of the card you used instead.

You can't get a refund if your Oyster card:   

  • Was used on the day    
  • Only has pay as you go credit on it

You can only claim this refund up to twice in 12 months.

Season ticket on Oyster card unused due to illness

If your Oyster card has a Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass on it and illness prevents you from using it, we will consider a refund if you either:   

  • Post us your Oyster card   
  • Call Customer Services

If you are unable to do this, you'll need write to us and confirm the start date of your illness, and provide a medical certificate. If you can't provide a medical certificate we may accept other proof, such as a letter from your employer on their headed paper.

If your ticket is cancelled, or your Oyster card is returned to us or stopped within six weeks of the start of your illness, we'll calculate the refund from the start date of your illness. If it's more than six weeks since your illness started, we'll refund you for the six weeks prior to the surrender/cancellation date.

We charge a £5 administration fee to process this type of refund.

You can't apply for a refund due to illness if you only have pay as you go credit on your Oyster card.  

Season tickets on faulty Oyster cards

If you have a Travelcard or Bus & Tram Pass season ticket on your Oyster card and it stops working, we will consider giving you a refund. If we do, we will refund any tickets you had to buy while waiting to get a replacement.You must provide original tickets, or receipts for fares, as proof of travel.

Service delay refunds

You may be able to claim a refund if your Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail or Emirates Air Line journey was delayed. Find out about service delay refunds.

Changing zones on your Travelcard

Call Customer Services if you want to reduce or add zones on to your existing Travelcard.

How to claim a refund

Call Customer Services

When you call Customer Services, on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges), you'll need to confirm that you are the registered owner of the Oyster card you're calling about. You must provide the following details:  

  • Your Oyster card number   
  • The answer to the security question you selected when you registered or protected your card online

If you don't have this information, Customer Services will ask you some other questions to find your card and identify you as the registered owner.

We can refund you by:

  • Cheque (cheque refunds in pound sterling only)   
  • Payment to your bank account (UK bank accounts only)   
  • Credit to your Oyster card. We can refund up to £50 back to your Oyster card as pay as you go credit   
  • Web account credit. We can give you a web account credit which you can use when you next top up or buy a Travelcard using your Oyster online account
Apply by post

Download and complete an application for refund form. Send it, along with any tickets, supporting evidence, or your Oyster card to Customer Services.

TfL Customer Services
4th Floor
14 Pier Walk
London SE10 0ES

Proof of identity for refunds over £15

We accept the following as proof of identity:

  • A valid passport or an ID card from an European Economic Association country   
  • NHS medical card   
  • Birth certificate   
  • Driving licence

We accept the following as proof of address:   

  • Current council tax bill   
  • Current council or housing association rent book or statement   
  • Residential utility bill (dated within the last three months)   
  • Residential bank or building society statement (dated within the last three months)   
  • Credit card statement (dated within the last three months) 

We don't accept mobile phone bills as proof of name and address.