TfL Ref: FOI-0353-1718
Thank you for your email received by us on 17 May 2017 asking for information about traffic lights located outside Kennington Tube station.
Your request has been considered in accordance with the requirements of the Freedom of Information Act and our information access policy. I can confirm that we hold the information you require. You asked:
1)Could you please furnish us with a breakdown of the current sequencing of the lights, including full sequence of lights and any delays between the light sequences?
• We have interpreted “signal sequence” to mean the order in which different approaches to the junction receive a green signal.
• The signal sequence is currently:
o Stage 1: Kennington Park Road northbound and southbound run together
o Stage 2: Kennington Park Road northbound and the right turn arrow into Braganza Street
o Stage 3: Braganza Street exit runs on its own
o Stage 4: Pedestrian crossings across all roads run together only.
• It is important to note that stages 2, 3 and 4 all operate ‘demand dependently’, meaning that they will only appear in the sequence if a vehicle or pedestrian is detected as present and waiting.
• We are unsure as to exactly what you are referring to when you say the ‘delays between the light sequences are’. Gaps in the sequence when no signals are green are the safety clearance periods between different movements. Our records show that these have not changed since before May 2016.
2) Could you please confirm whether the sequence has changed at all since May 2016?
• The same sequence of signals has been in operation since before May 2016.
3)If the sequence has been changed, could you please furnish us with the full previous sequences of lights?
• Not applicable.
In addition, please note these traffic signals operate using our SCOOT control system. By using sensors in the road to detect vehicles the system allows the traffic signal green times to vary to adapt to real time traffic conditions.
If this is not the information you are looking for, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Please see the attached information sheet for details of your right to appeal as well as information on copyright and what to do if you would like to re-use any of the information we have disclosed.
FOI Case Officer
FOI Case Management Team
Transport for London