The Cycle Security Plan has been produced by TfL, British Transport Police, City of London Police and Metropolitan Police Service. It sets out what we have done, and plan to do, to prevent and deter cycle theft and criminal damage.
We want to give Londoners the confidence to park their bikes in designated areas without fear of theft or criminal damage.
- The establishment of a dedicated TfL-funded Cycle Task Force in the Metropolitan Police Service's Safer Transport Command to investigate and tackle organised cycle theft, and to disrupt the market and trade of stolen second-hand bikes and parts
- Tackling cycle theft at problem locations, prioritised at a local level by policing
- Educating cyclists to prevent cycle theft
- Developing an effective code of practice for sellers, second-hand resellers, internet retailers, trading standards and insurance companies (similar to the responsible retailers agreement)
- Establishing a single, endorsed register for all marked bikes in London so police and retailers can search and verify the legitimate owner of a bike
- Increase the availability of designated cycle parking in public places where cyclists can securely leave their bikes