Civil Engineering Graduate
TfL is the best possible company to start off my civil engineering career. Also, the free Oyster card for myself and my mother is a great cherry on top of the cake!
— Kajana Sivapathasundararajah, Civil Engineering graduate
How long: 3 Years
Where: London based hybrid working. Anticipated 1 to 2 days on average in the office- subject to working patterns and business requirements.
What you'll need
- A minimum of 2:1 MEng degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Or on track to achieve a minimum 2:1 MEng degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
- Your academic qualification must meet the requirements for CEng registration with the Institution of Civil Engineers.
What you'll be doing
As a graduate, your three-year development programme will be made up of up to six placement rotations. Our aim is to equip you with the range of skills and experience you need for your successful career.
We understand that everyone's career and ambitions are different, so every graduate's journey is unique.
Your work will vary from placement to placement. You'll also have the opportunity to identify your own placements on the projects you are most interested in guided by your scheme Sponsor, Mentor, Buddy and Development Advisor.
Placements could include:
- Improving the longevity of the structures and earthworks of London Underground
- Delivering innovative step-free access schemes to improve accessibility to our network
- Working with our consultants to design new low-carbon station boxes and tunnels on our Major Projects like Bank Station Capacity Upgrade
- Designing new road layouts with our Highways Engineering teams to create new cycle superhighways across London
Where this career can take you
A career with us can be very varied with opportunities across the whole of our engineering team for you to enjoy.
Within five to eight years, you'll be eligible to apply for Chartered Engineer status. This could open up opportunities to be a:
- Senior Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Construction Engineer responsible for making key technical decisions
After a further few years, you could be a Team Leader or Project Technical Lead, managing your own team and make strategic decisions on design, strategy and processes.