Getting started with Barclays Cycle Hire is easy. Simply hire a bike, ride it where you like, then return it to any docking station.
Step 1 - Hire
- Go to the nearest docking station terminal with your debit or credit card and touch the screen to begin
- Select 'Hire a cycle', follow the on-screen instructions and take the printed release code
- You can hire up to four bikes at the same time (you'll need a separate release code for each bike)
Tip: Barclays Cycle Hire is for short trips, so all journeys under 30 minutes are free from extra ride charges.
Tip: Each bike release code is valid for 10 minutes and only at that docking station. Bikes are valuable so don't let anyone see your code before you use it.
Find out what you pay to hire a Barclays Cycle Hire bike
Step 2 - Ride
- Take a moment to read our tips for safer cycling at the terminal
- Choose your bike and check the tyres, brakes and bell
- Type your five-digit release code into the docking point's silent keypad and pull the bike out when the green light appears
- Adjust the saddle height and you're good to go!
Tip: The bikes have lights that come on automatically when you start pedalling.
Step 3 - Return
- Push the bike firmly into any empty docking point across London
- You must wait for the green light, which will show that the bike is securely docked (otherwise we will continue to charge you for your journey)
- If the docking station is full, select 'No docking point free' at the terminal and follow the on-screen directions to get an extra 15 minutes free
- To find a nearby space if the docking station is full, select 'Status of nearest docking station' at the terminal.
- Remember, if you're not using the bike, dock it back!
Tip: If the bike is unsafe to ride, please let us know it needs repairing by pressing the 'Fault' button on the docking point within 10 seconds of docking it. Turn the saddle backwards to show others that it needs repairing.
Tip: You will need to wait five minutes before hiring another bike.